Welcome to our volunteer run clay program! We encourage every student to create at least two projects throughout the school year. Our clay curriculum teaches students about several hands on building techniques including: rolling slabs, coiling, pinch pots, attaching clay, adding textures and using tools.
All volunteers are welcome to help every student create a project and assist in setting up and cleaning materials in the clay room. Ideally 3 classroom volunteers are needed for every class. Suggested responsibilities, videos, step by step instructions and the clay class calendar are available below.
Forming class: All volunteers are encouraged to watch the project video on YouTube to see how to assist students and set
and clean up the room.
- Volunteer 1: Make sure the class has seen video prior to entering clay room, welcome students, show examples, remind students to properly attach clay and clearly write their name and room number on the back side of all projects. Help set up & clean up all materials and assist students.
- Volunteer 2: Set up clay and materials. Project materials are located by clicking on “download instructions” under project videos listed below. Assist students and clean up materials at the end of class.
- Volunteer 3: Place completed projects in the drying box and make sure projects are: thick enough (more then 1⁄4”), properly attached, contain only clay (no wooden sticks, toothpicks, newspaper or other non-clay items) and have student name and room number clearly written on the backside or bottom of every project. Properly label project box noting any absent students and date created.
Glazing class: Occasionally glazes will settle and separate in the jars, so glazes will need to be shaken or stirred with a fork prior to using. When students have finished glazing projects, all volunteers need to wipe off excess glaze from the back side or bottom of projects with a slightly damp sponge.
- Volunteer 1: Welcome students, show samples, remind students glazing rules of not mixing glazes, not painting the back or bottom of their projects and paint 2 layers of glaze. Help setup and clean up clay room and assist students.
- Volunteer 2: Pass out projects or set out projects on tables. Check all names and make sure students are glazing correct projects. Help any students who were absent from forming class create their project and properly label makeup project with name & date created.
- Volunteer 3: Set up tables with plastic tablecloth, newspaper, glazes and paint brushes. Refill glazes and wipe off all jars so lids will be clean and fit back on jar properly.
Click here for the Class Schedule
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.